Sunday, 7 February 2016

Gelli Plate - now I like it!

Hi everyone

I am way behind visiting you guys I really am - forgive me please!

The Gelli Plate - you know I have been on the fence with this, its been stuffed in the cupboard, paintwise I just cant get on with it, it doesnt happen for me.  So today I thought I would use inks, and I need to go with something I am comfortable with - so I wondered if I could do a faux finish using the Gelli Plate and inks.

So I did a marble effect and I was thrilled with the outcome and there was no need for the softening brush etc. which I would normally use if using paints - its quite a process.

 I used some shiny card which was knocking around, and cut out my frame, but I used the negative part for the background.

First thing was to press onto the gelli plate a selection of brown and yellow inks then go over them with the brayer, then take a feather or a liner brush, lightly damp and swipe it through some black ink.  If you are using a liner brush hold it right at the very end of the handle and really lightly, you are aiming to use the length of the brush rather than the tip.  Then just gently lay it on the Gelli Plate and twizzle it between your fingers as you create the marble effect.

 Then press your card on as usual.

I used Viva Decor Faux Rust on the frame and also added some Gold Acrylic paint as I wanted it to feel like an aged picture frame.

I used a vintage postcard of the Modestia which I then covered with Crackle Glaze - but you cannot see that very well at the moment.  I also added Viva Decor Gold Glitter from the Glitter Pen - as I wanted it to look as though the frame had been richly jewelled at one stage.
So I am going to enter this into the following two challenges:-

Country View Crafts - which is Make your own Background in this case its marbling.

And also into




Have a great week everyone!



8 comments:

baileyrosy.com said...

My Geli plate has been used once the day I got it and the shoved back in its box two years later its still in there I think , I bet its broken. Didn't realise you could get such wonderful effects with a twizzle of a brush but then again you are an artiste and I'm just a CAS card maker. Fabulous, sumptious and very very beautiful.

Marie

IrinaR (Irina Rakovets) said...

Very interesting!

Lisa said...

Oh wow, this is stunning!! I love the Gelli Plate technique...I've always wanted one but haven't purchased it yet...you've inspired me!! The frame looks amazing!! I love the vintage image you used!! This is spectacular!! Wow!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Pamellia Johnson said...

This is gorgeous Cathryn! I've not had a chance to play with one of those plates, but you sure are working it good!! Love how the pattern turned out. The frame looks so antique, what a great effect you achieved. Beautiful piece! hugs :)

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Beautiful Cathryn and what a great way to get a faux marble effect, it looks perfect! Deb xo

Lisa H said...

oh, I love how your marbled background turned out! Thanks for sharing with us at Mixed Media Monthly! =)

Donna B. said...

Such a gorgeous card with a great background! Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Rachel said...

very pretty! love the faux rust frame! and im happy you reunited with your gelli plate... i love mine! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com