Saturday, 20 February 2016

Alarming Love!

Hi everyone!

Its been a busy time, a bit full on - did you all have a wonderful Valentines Day?  He forgot as usual, but then again if he buys me chocolates he eats them!  Or picks out all the nice ones - you know how you say "would you like one" and in your mind you are thinking "dont take the fudge, dont take the caramel, dont take that one .....take the one dont like" and blow me he goes straight for the ones I like!   I used to hide them but he can hear the rustle of the chocolate box from 1 mile away, strange really because if you say "could you......" he cannot hear it!!! Laughing!!!!

Anyway I have been a lucky girlie and the lovely Ingrid over at Mixed Media World is giving £10
voucher to 3 lucky entrants selected at random and I was selected!  How generous is that?  I thought it was a lovely gesture.

The challenge this month at Mixed Media World is Love is in the air and also the uber talented Janka is now part of the design team - she is great!

Also at the really super duper Anything But Cute Challenge Blog is Grungy Love


So in the spirit of Valentines day I decided to do something for the person I love most in the world ....ME!!! Laughing!!!  Yeah something I felt like doing for myself


I did a grungy love clock - and here is how I did it.   I got an old alarm clock from the Charity Shop and then stripped it down and soaked the carcass in a rust bath of 50/50 White Vinger and Bleach.  I left it there for 2 weeks.

But it did'nt rust as much as I wanted it too, and by then I was fed up of waiting.  So I put a good layer of Golden Gel Medium here and there and left it to dry.  Then I went in with my Viva Decor Rust and Patina (FANTASTIC STUFF!)

Then I embossed some card for the background, cut out loads of cogs, and also selected an appropriate vintage image and then reassembled the inside of the clock.

I LOVE this I really do - I enjoyed doing it, and was really delighted with it - my Alarming Love!!!

Have a great week and happy crafting!

15 comments:

IrinaR (Irina Rakovets) said...

Hi Cathryn! This is great! Beautiful Alter-clock! I stare at them too, and I want to make this alter, but as long as I do not have any old or new alarm)))

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, this is absolutely amazing!! Wow!! What a creative project!! I love the clock!! You decorated it perfectly!! This is stunning!! Wonderful gift for yourself ;) Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Dorothy Donna Parker said...

I hope I'm on your latest posting. I'm finding it a little 'different' to navigate your blog. Absolutely IN LOVE with your clock. How clever .. and very good to know the products you used to make it happen. Enjoyed your post very much. hugs, Donna

Pamellia Johnson said...

You really had me laughing at your story about the chocolates, I'm the same way 'no, not that one!' haha!! Your clock is just amazing Cathryn! You really created a wonderful eroded, rusted metal effect on the outside, wow!! Love all your layered elements inside too! Such a fabulous, grungy creation!!

Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Grungy Love' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

Pawsitively Creative said...

Not the CARAMEL! Any other chocolate is fine to take though, just leave me the caramel. Lol! Your post was a hoot! So glad you could make something for yourself and make something you did! Dang it about the rust bath, thought it would have rusted up greatly but you saved it and added some amazing rust effects yourself. Winning! Awesome sauce design and the layers of cogs are wowzers!

Thanks for joining in our "Grungy Love" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki DT

Cec said...

Your grungy clock is wonderful and I need to pick up some of that Patina after seeing how your rusted look came out. Love the vintage image and all the industrial elements. Your chocolate story was so much fun to read. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
Hugs!
Cec

Samra Leshinski said...

WOW!!! Amazing make!
Thank you for joining our Grungy Love challenge at Anything But Cute!
Hugs

Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

Sara Barker said...

Cathryn, I really busted a gut reading your story, and I even had to read it out loud to my husband, who didn't buy me chocolates, either. If he did, I would lucky enough to have them all to myself; at least they would be safe from my husband. Now my son would be another story.

I digress...I'm hear to discuss this wonderful altered clock. I have never seen one with the entrails taken out and then put back in in such an artful manner! Love the crusty rusty outside, too! Fabulous creativity on this!

Thank you for joining our Grungy Love challenge at Anything But Cute with your to-self Valentine. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

gibonik said...

Great project!!! love it:)

Inky and Quirky said...

Love this,so much wonderful detail to gaze at
Thanks for joining us at MMW and good luck!
Hugs
Donna xxx

Pawsitively Creative said...

I think Blogger ate my comment! Lol! Anyhoo-your altered clock is so gorgeous and rusty and grungy! What a fantabulous makeover! All of the gears inside give such great depth to this marvelous clock. Wowzers on the layers you achieved in such a small space, that's talent! I know what you mean about the "rust bath", it's been hit or miss with me as well. You have it the rusty look it was going for with those awesome sauce paints! Splendid!

Thanks for joining in our "Grungy Love" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki DT

Kris said...

Hi Cathryn, the texture on the clock is super gorgeous, overall great project, I am loving it!!!

Ingrid Kristina V said...

What an amazing makeover! Love the rusty effects you achieved with the patina! Awesome! Thank you for sharing it with us at Mixed Media World! Ingrid X

baileyrosy.com said...

Hi Cathryn, I would be totally suspicious if I got a valentines gift after 32 years I would assume the worst ! So glad you gifted ( and made ) this beautiful piece of art you so deserve it. Gorgeously rusty and grungy a bit how I feel this morning ! Looked kinda sad with its inards out but you have replaced and repurposed them beautifully.

Hope all is well with you and the big banana.

Marie

Neet said...

Thought I would pop by and see what you had been up to. I am so sorry I neglected you - do neglect you - life just gets in the way. Love your clock, had to smile at the 2 weeks rust bath though. I would not have the patience. Great results with the rust stuff in the end. Love what you have done to it since and now you have inspired me to get the one I bought a year and more ago out and do something. At least it will stop it cluttering my cupboard up.
Take care, miss you.
Hugs, Neet xx