Sunday, 3 January 2016

Mixed Media Monthly - "Time Flies"

Hello!

Did you all have a good one?  Did you eat your own body weight in chocolate? - I did!!  I am a boring old fart really because I like my routine - no I LOVE my routine!! So on the whole I am so pleased to be back to normal.      "War and Peace" starts on the TV tonight - why I feel like watching it I dont know, I LIVE War and Peace - its exactly like our house!!

Anyway - its good to get back to crafting and each year I try and set myself a challenge for the year, and each year I fail - so its nice to be consistent!! Laughing!!!

So:- Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog is "Time Flies" and it must be something to do with time or flying.


I decided to use this really cool postcard of the "Duchess of Urbino" by Piero dell Francesca - along with all my bits and bobs to create this


I started off with this


A box canvas covered in handmade paper glued down with PVA glue, which I then painted with Deco-Art Acylic in Antique Gold Deep.  (Note I use Americana Acrylic which has a good level of pigment for a rich colour which wont fade).  I die cut some stuff, and trimmed out the sky from the postcard.  The white rectangle is foam board which the bottom part of the card will sit on.

Now you can see where the stuff is stuck on - old jewellery, die cuts, batteries, bottle top, bit of rubbish!  Then when its dry I put a layer of Gesso on it (Note I like a good artist gesso so use Windsor and Newton clear gesso - as it leaves a good "tooth" for the paint to adhere".

When its dry I spray paint it with gold paint and then go over it with inks and Viva Decor Inka Golds in Violet, Emerald, Aquamarine and old Silver.

Close ups......

 See the little bird.... I glued on some pheasant feathers!   And the script Beautiful came from the Tim Holtz die range.
The bottle cap is glued into a pocket watch die....

Thank you for looking and I love it when you leave a comment!  Take care and have a really super duper 2016!

8 comments:

Buttons said...

Quite simply awesome!!! I LOVE your choice of image and the way you've created that beautiful multi-layered canvas to encapsulate her. Happy New Year! Jenny xxx

Rachel said...

what a gorgeous piece!! i love covering things with gesso and just seeing where it goes from there. i like to make crafty goals at the new year too but you're right, it's so hard to stick with them! i hope you make mixed media monthly challenge a resolution! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge! Happy New Year!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

scrapwordsmom said...

Oh WOW!! I loved seeing your process!! It is awesome what you have created!

Pamellia Johnson said...

Beautiful mixed media piece Cathryn! Love the elements you used to put this together. You're not the only one who likes her routine. I love the holidays, but I'm so glad that everything is getting back to normal now. I enjoy my routine and get out of sorts when life gets whacky!! HAHA!! I hope you had a wonderful New Years! Here's to another year full of love, laughter and crafting! hugs :)

Neet said...

What a gorgeous piece of artwork - but fully expected from you - I just love what you do!
I am going to be a bit late joining in or catching up with Wanderlust due to being away but will look forward to it all when I get back to good old Blighty.
Cannot believe it is War and Peace at yours - go on, you are kidding us.
Love
Neet xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful work of art! Fantastic collage of so many wonderful items! Love all the shimmery detail! Thanks for joining along with the MMMC :)

Cheryl Boglioli said...

Fantabulous! I love this assembled piece. Don't you love Viva? Thanks for playing with the MMMC.

Team Clark said...

This looks like it was so much fun to make! I love seeing your pile of goods before they've been painted. Great details and placement. <3