Sunday, 31 January 2016

Life - a mixed media card

Hello!

Have you noticed how more and more mixed media cards are becoming mini works of art in themselves?   Very often the work and creativity that has gone into a card really is worthy of a stand alone canvas.  

Anyway - how is everyone?  I have to say, I find the creative juices don't flow as much in the cold weather, I am far more productive when the nights are a bit lighter and its warmer.  

Indigo Blu have an "Anything Goes" theme over on the challenge blog - and I have created a mixed media card


I took some heavy card and using PVA glue, stuck on some map scrapbook paper, and then onto that some creamy handmade paper (kept on layering).  I knew I was going to do an image transfer so needed to seal the top layer of paper, so spread a good layer of PVA glue over the top and let it dry.

Then I stenciled texture paste and prepared my image transfer.  However, looking at it I knew the background was too blah.....


I knew I was going to use this set of stamps......

So the when the texture paste was dry, I sanded the background to create further texture, then using Glazing Medium and Yellow Ocher put a wash over the background (avoiding the image transfer).
Glazing Medium makes the paints transparent and opens up the drying time (keeps paint wet for longer) also remember the  majority of yellows are already transparent - Yellow Ochre is a pigment so will have a richer colour anyway.

Then I stamped "me stamp" and embossed it.   Then completed the image transfer by wetting the paper and peeling it off.

The final steps were to add further depth, and this was done by using various ink colours through a stencil and around the edges.  I then swiped some Acrylic White paint and rubbed it on as well - you can see this quite clearly.

Also added are lots of texture threads and metal embellishments, along with the butterfly and word from the same stamp set.



I also added some faux stitching - huge shout out to Jenny Marples of Pushing the right buttons - I first learnt this from her and I thought it was genius!!  Also if you visit the Anything But Cute Blog the amazing (and I do mean amazing) Astrid has done a tutorial and she uses this as well.

So am off now - going to pay a visit to you all and comment, and MARIE!!!! Its great to see you back again and hope you are well, and also KRIS - super you are blogging again!

Have a great week!


11 comments:

Buttons said...

Oh Cathryn, this is as you quite rightly say a work of art! I love how the image transfer has been blended through to that fabulous background with the stamping and stencilling. Methinks you need the smaller versions of the new IB papers Cartography, European Grand Tour and Lost Family in your life - they too work perfectly with the Grand Tour stamps! (just sayin... ;) ) Sending huge hugs and a big thank you for the shout out - glad that faux stitching came in useful! Jenny xxx

MakaArt said...

Cathryn, your card is really great! Wonderful work! Maria

baileyrosy.com said...

Yes I have noticed these mini works of art but mainly on your page. Love it that technique with the white is really clever and really draw the eye in and looks a bit spooky too. I really must play with my indigo blu stamps I have tons of the buggers. Yes Im well thanks for asking and so lovely to see that Im now getting notifications of your new creations.

Marie

Lisa said...

Oh wow, this is stunning!! The layers and details are amazing!! What a gorgeous mixed media work of art this is!! I love it!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Kris said...

Hi Cathryn!:) Lovely aged feel on that card, interesting. I just checked out on YouTube that faux stitching, definitely will try that out someday. Might even join in with the challenge too! All the best!

Pamellia Johnson said...

Beautiful Cathryn! I've been on the fence about that stamp set, but I think you may have just tipped the scales for me. Stunning piece, love your butterfly, great addition! hugs :)

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

A work of art and heart and not mini in the least! Gorgeous card Catheryn,Deb xo

Gio said...

So gorgeous! It really tells a story this beauty. Thank you for playing with us at the Indigo Blu challenge :-)

rachel said...

this is wonderful - I love this mixed media piece - so very beautiful! Definitely a work of art! Thanks for joining the Indigo Blu challenge this month and good luck! Hugs rachel x

Joanie said...

What a great card - love it! Thank you for joining us at the IndigoBlu Challenge

Wenda said...

Great card, thanks for joining us at the IndigoBlu challenge.

Hugs Wenda