Sunday, 10 January 2016

Bottle - what bottle?

Hello!

Hope you are all well - and back into the routine (yay!!! happy dance for routine!)......

Strange title - well its to do with the challenge over at Country View Crafts which is BOTTLES 
isnt that a good challenge?   It really made me think!

The other challenge is over at Anything But Cute Challenge Blog and their challenge is

To use anything that you got for Christmas or anything new - well I actually got a soupmaker for Christmas, so I cant use that!!!!

However just before Christmas I treated myself to a Grand Calibur, A WRMK cutting and scoring board and some Sizzex thinlets dies, and a storage case to put my dies into.  You can just see it in the picture (its black with polka dots).   I purchased the GC and dies from CVC and I can highly recommend them - very good customer service and really well priced - plus I won a £20 voucher to put towards them!!   I have a Big Shot machine but wanted to try an A4, and am not at all disappointed with it.  The scoreboard and cutter is fabulous and the soupmaker is divine!!!!

So with both these challenges in mind I came up with this card


I used a plastic bottle - quite a thin plastic one and cut away the top and bottom

Then cut open the plastic body so that I could get in the printed butterfly outline - which was then cut out.  The wings will go the wrong way (downwards) but dont worry about that.  Then I gessoed it - using a good artist quality gesso as you need a good "tooth" on the plastic.  Once it was dry I glued on scrapbook paper (use evo-stick pva glue).  When its dry gently fold the wings up - the natural curve in the bottle will make the wings curve beautifully.


Close up of the butterfly which I also added texture paste through a stencil and then inked.
I cut out some shapes with my GC - the bit inside the frame has been stenciled with Viva Decor Serviette Glue to create a resist, and then I dropped Alchol Inks all over the card, and trimmed it to sit inside the frame.
You can see the word from the thinlets dies "friends" which lies ontop of the die cut flowers, everything lies on a scrapbook paper background which has been edged with TH Washi tape stuff.

So - a different use for a bottle!

Thank you for visiting and have a great week!

22 comments:

Vintagehandmade said...

Wonderful project with such an amazing butterfly! Loving the colours and lovely embellishments!
Thank you so much for joining in our Ring out the Old, Bring in the New challlenge at Anything But Cute!
Branka DTx

Florence said...

Superb project Cath. Loving the recycling.
Hugs Flo x

Lys Scrap said...

Wow! What a great and inventive interpretation of the theme! This butterfly is wonderfully textured. I love it!

Buttons said...

OMG! Brilliant idea for using a bottle Cathryn!!! I LOVE that butterfly surrounded by its beautiful background. Happy New Year! Jenny x

Redanne said...

Wow Cathryn, you did get a lot of new goodies and you have put some of them to good use on this project. Such a great idea to use the plastic bottle for your butterfly, it turned out beautifully.

Thanks so much for joining in our 'Ring out the Old, Bring in the New' challenge at Anything But Cute. Anne DT x

Samra Leshinski said...

Thank you for joining our Ring our the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute!
Hugs

Samra
Paper Talk with Samra

Pamellia Johnson said...

Wow Cathryn, I think this is by far the most creative use of a plastic bottle that I have ever seen!! Absolutely brilliant!! I love all the wonderful elements here, but my eye truly does keep going back to that magnificent butterfly, a real show stopper!! Well done my friend!!

Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Bring in the New' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

sheila 77 said...

Who knew a plastic bottle could make wonderful art? This is totally ingenious.
You've made a lovely piece for the butterfly to rest on.

Kris said...

Hi Cathryn, how have you been! I feel great to be back in blogland again! And such a gorgeous project you got here, absolutely in love with that butterfly, extremely creative. All the best, Kris.

Sara Barker said...

Cathryn, your creativity knows no bounds! I love your re-use of that plastic bottle--so darn clever; I wished I'da thunk it! Tee Hee! It is truly majestic sitting there on top of that equally clever framed piece and those lovely die cut flowers! Wonderful piece and great use of your new goodies! Thank you for joining our Ring Out the Old, Bring in the New Challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

chrissie said...

Terrific way to use the plastic bottle Catherine. So pleased to have found your blog again, I missed your amazing talent

Love Chrissie xx

Angela Radford said...

So clever and such a great idea to use the bottle, love it. Thanks for the visit to mine too. Happy crafting, Angela x

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Cathryn, that is stunning! What a fabulous butterfly (brilliant idea to use the plastic bottle!) Gorgeous layers and so many wonderful details on your card, loving the alcohol ink resist xo Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment, so glad to have found you! Deb xo

Janis said...

Oh...my...goodness!!! This is absolute genius using the plastic bottle for the butterfly. What a fabulous idea and totally wonderful project! I am in awe.

Thank you so very much for the lovely comment you left on my blog. Have a wonderful day!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely fabulous project,a great idea and love the gorgeous butterfly and enjoy the new goodies
Carol x

Craftyfield said...

After reading your post I am looking at the plastic bottles in a different way... Another piece of garbage that will join my crafty stash! Your make is gorgeous, with great textural layers and lovely colours with a touch of gold.

IrinaR (Irina Rakovets) said...

Beautiful card, Cathryn! a butterfly ... Wow wow ... fantastically of a beautiful!
She captivated me!

Gio said...

Gorgeous upcycling and card. Wow!! Your new stuff is appreciated, I think :-)

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous project Cathryn! I love that beautiful butterfly! Thanks for the inspiration and thanks for the tips regarding extenders. I have tried Golden's retarder and it has helped but now I'm going to give Liquitex's slow drying medium a try :)

Deborah Wainwright said...

Fantastic way to use your bottle, thanks for playing along with us at CVC hugs Debsxx

Team Clark said...

This is brilliant! What an amazing and clever idea and the result is so gorgeous! Such an inspiration. Hugs, Autumn PS. Biggest congrats on your special recognition at CVC! <3

Sara Barker said...

Somehow I missed the winner's post on CVC. Huge congratulations to you on winning Top 3--so well deserved for a creative use of a bottle! Hugs!