Friday, 8 May 2015

Coffee Filters.....really?


Well ......selamat datang!

Or Welcome in Indonesian.......

Have had a super week - out and about, we went to see the new Far From the Madding Crowd film yesterday....oh my word talk about one thing after another!!  And she never got the piano!!  Go and see it cos its really very good.  Mum dropped to sleep, although she swore she didnt (but she did!) spent quite some time viewing the inside of her eyelids!

Artist Trading Post challenge is to create something with a  found natural object 

Thats pretty different isnt it - well I found some old bark which got the creative juices flowing and it also said that you had to use a product from the shop - so I used the Prima Watercolour Pencils which I won from ATP earlier this month.

I was determined to introduce as few products as possible - because the less you use the harder it makes you work dontchathink?

So I used this:-
 An old cabinet photo, some bark, watercolour pencils, Prima spray ink "tea stain", and natural coffee filters!


 I cut out my flowers and leaves from the coffee filters, lay them on some watercolour paper and sprayed everything.  Then went in with the watercolour pencils.    Remove the coffee filter flowers and leaves and you have a really cool background from the watercolour paper (see above)
  I put a layer of gesso over the cabinet photo, cut out some wings and stuck them on.
Glued the flowers together and put a french knot of embroidery cotton in the centre of each one.  Found a bit of old lace and stuck that on, and also stuck the bark on.  Arranged the flowers and then added some more butterflies.

Everything works because of the back ground, its all the same tones - and I LOVE the coffee filter flowers!  The watercolour pencils are brilliant - and I will be using those all the time, dont be put off by them - you can be arty farty with them, or just stick a wet brush on them and shove it on - just go for it!

Selamat tinggal!



4 comments:

Kris said...

Hi, Cathryn! Thanks so much for that delightful comment on my blog. Cheers! And coffee filter flowers - what an excellent idea!

I had a look around on your blog ... beautiful paintings!

Suze Bain said...

Those flowers are fab, a beautiful piece. Xx

Kasia Krzymińska said...

What a beautiful page Cathryn! amazing composition and choice of colours. Thank you for sharing :)
Kasia from ATP

Caroline said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Look at your flowers? So vintage & rustic, what a fab combo!! I do keep looking at these pencils but can't justify ~ Yet?!😊