Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Artful Times and huge shout out to Dawn!!!!


Cześć

Today we are speaking Polish (I hope!)

Well my word I have been without t'internet for 2 days - and I wanted to get this on before...........

HUGE SHOUT OUT TO DAWN!!!  Yes Dawn from craft club was on Create and Craft and she were marvellous!!  Well done - really proud of you Dawn - a star in the making!

Over at Artful Times the new challenge is a little bit of Finnabair

I did a card (cos the card box is running low!) - first of all I laid out my elements on the card front.   The challenge wanted Lace, Flowers and Metal - and always try and work in odd numbers when using flowers etc.   Also - your eye will always go to the negative spaces (the bits with nothing on) 
and thats why Finns layout always work so well, the negative space is limited.  I havent trained with her but I know Neet has, so I am going to kidnap Neet and she can show me all she knows!!! (wink!)




 When I was pleased with the layout I glued it down, and covered up certain areas with clear masking film - its an art product which  is a low tack sheet of clear plastic, and really useful.

Then I put a layer of gesso over the ephemera to help it take the inks.  You need the gesso because the leaves, metal etc are shiny (the leaves were plastic) and it gives the inks something to cling onto to.
 When the gesso had dried, it was sprayed.  I used Cold Tea colour from Prima and a Blue from Cosmic shimmer.  When that had dried I peeled off the masking film, but went and ripped my picture - so I had to replace it.  Thats why its a different one in the finished card.

To give it more depth I went over certain areas with sketching pencils, and then trimmed it all down and layered it with a navy bit of card.  This made the whole thing pop and also reduced the negative space a little bit.

Have a great Bank Holiday weekend - and go an enter the challenge!



4 comments:

Joi at RR said...

Ahhh - so sorry about the first picture but I'm in love with the second pictures so it's all good!!! This is just beautiful - so vintage chic. Love the colors... beautiful. j.

Buttons said...

Great card, transformed by the addition of the inks and I too prefer the second picture. Jenny x

WendyK said...

A beautiful Card with gorgeous colours and textures. Thank you for joining us on Artful Times.

Neet said...

Beautiful work as always Cathryn. I love the second one as much as the first. Love love love those strong blue flowers, they give real depth to your composition.
Such a shame you had an accident with the first but as I said the second is equally as nice.
Thanks for your support - you are a pal.
Hugs, Neet xx
ps you were our very first challenge winner xx