Saturday, 31 January 2015

Paper Artsy - Shiny Stuff. The box from the Winter Palace


Ciao amici!

How are you all - are you feeling "Strangely Creative" with your art work?  I do hope so - although all this cold weather does put one off dontchafink?  

So being the "art tart" that I intend to be this year, I thought I would enter another challenge - this one being the Paper Artsy Shiny Stuff challenge , and as you know I always set a bit of a back story with my stuff - it works for me anyway!

This one is called "The box from the Winter Palace" - and it was found at the bottom of the Neva River - so its all rusty.  When they discovered it, strangely enough, 5 moths were in the cage and they tried to fly away, but they were tethered by fine platinum wire.   How very odd that they survived under water for all those years?




I started off with this watch tin - but you could use any kind of tin, sometimes you get something and think "I will use that someday" well search through that stash!

This is my shiny stuff......





The first thing to do is cover the tin in double sided tape, but the lid is covered in gesso.   I always use a heavy gesso - an art quality gesso.   Then I Fragmentologised it (covered it in crap ephemera) -
when the glue is dry (the ds tape gives the stuff something to grip as without it the glue just slides down the tin) put on a good thick layer of gesso.

When thats dry I added Grunge paste here and there to add more texture.   For the lid I put the Grunge paste around the edge and added an old necklace as a trim, but for the top used the paste through a stencil.




When its all dry spray it up with enamel paint (I used gold and pewter) fiddle about with it by adding Treasure Gold etc.

The rusty cage is cardboard - cut from a die, spread the Grunge Paste here and there and then paint with Red Oxide acrylic paint. Distress it with black ink when its dry.  It gives an outstanding rust effect if I say so myself!  (((whats that sound, can you hear it.....trumpets.....oh its me blowing my own!)

The moths were die cut and stamped using this Paper Artsy stamp set and die


I really like this - In fact I am well chuffed with it.  

Now to make something for Neets Challenge over at Artful Times - she wants something for a man so pop over and have a go - lets get those entries up on that blog!

Arrivederci!


10 comments:

Suze Bain said...

Wow, this looks absolutely fabby-u-lous, totally arty tarty (which is much better than being arty farty! Guffaw) xx

bracken sparkes said...

This is the definition of Amazeballs! So Awsome, great job:). Xxx.

Sherry said...

Wowzer, wowzer, wowzer - you must be the Queen of Rust! Love what you did with the cardboard bird cage die - brilliant transformation - as is the whole project. Really fantastic xx

Gabrielle said...

Gosh! Stunning!

Florence said...

Wonderful!!! Brilliant as always. I'm in fits of giggles over our Ms Bain's comment.
Take care xxx

kaybee said...

Love the movement and thinking outside the cage!

Diana Taylor said...

Wow, this is beautiful, and I love your little story behind it! The moths are gorgeous and I love all the treasures you added to it - perfectly beautiful. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog earlier, your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

What a wonderful box, so creatively made, thanks for kind comment on my post.
Anni

~*~Patty S said...

What a fab transformation from tin to total treasure and the way your cardboard cage turned out is brilliant too!
I also played with a tin for this challenge.

Sara Barker said...

Cathryn, I really had a good laugh with your post! Esp. the part about trumpets blowing! Seriously, though, your bird cage is awesomely rusty! And I do love rust! Going to have to investigate that Oxide red paint. Great transformation with your crap! Love it!