Friday, 5 July 2013

Artful Times Challenge - a little bit of rain or sunshine

Hello!

Here is my entry for the Artful Times Challenge - and I chose "a little bit of rain" and its a TAG.

The Robster (www.mdfman.co.uk) does these fantastic tags in various sizes (I cannot see them
on his site but if you contact him and ask him for them - he is very good!).   These tags are thin MDF
so they are a brilliant substrate (surface) as they will virtually take anything you will throw at them.
Sometimes I find that the paper ones will curl up - especially if you do a lot of layers as I very often do.

The tag has been painted Midnight Blue and then I have used Moonglow Mica distress stains. I like
these -  did you know that mica based distress stains (and indeed many other mediums) use gum Arabic.   Gum Arabic binds the mica together so when the water evaporates from the surface the mica remains.   That's why when your spray clogs up, you run it under hot water as it dissolves the Gum
Arabic.

Then I spread some texture paste through a mask to add some further interest.    Once that dried I added on my bits and bobs and when that was dry I mica stained all of those and the paste so that it
all toned in.   I also added a paper tag and stained it, once again to add a bit of interest.
 

The Doll is a Julie Nutting Stamp (fabulous!) - and I cut out a coat and did her some matching boots.
I floated some shadows with paint to give it some depth, added a lace collar and some press studs.


The brolly was painted and masked as the tag and fixed using tabbies.  The brolly handle is a bit of
shaped jewellery wire.

So.......nip over to Artful Times and enter this challenge  - (oops have edited this posting - so you if have received this through following ignore what was written here .....(laughing!)


Thank you for looking! 




6 comments:

Von said...

Stunning work Cathryn lovehow you have pulled the colours and all the little embellishments together :)
Von ♥

Buttons said...

What a great tag Cathryn. Love the mica background/umbrella and all the embellishments piled in around your lovely lady. Hugs, Jenny x

Suze Bain said...

This is one gorgeous tag. Love the doll, love the brolly, beautiful embellies. Gorjus! Xx

Neet said...

Absolutely fabulous Cathryn, you don't need to go to "that" workshop when you can do things like this yourself. This is fabulous - love everything about it.
Hugs, Neet xx

sheila 77 said...

What a charming tag. I love her coat with the press stud buttons and her umbrella and all the flowers, great work.

Dagmar said...

wow - it´s so fantasctic - a great artwork!!!!
Greetings, Dagmar