Friday, 10 May 2013

Postcard from France


Hello!

I felt so inspired by the challenge over at the Hatters "A Postcard from France" that I really wanted to enter.





I sorted out my collage items onto a box canvas.   Inked a bit of the back and the sides to take the glare away, and then using melted beeswax just stuck on all the collaged items and the lace.  As I was
beeswaxing, because the wax dries quickly I kept giving the surface a blast with my heat gun.
(the wax was melted in my meltpot).

Once it was all on and dry (which takes moments - but the beauty of it is you can keep re-heating the
wax until you are happy) - I then gave it a nice polish with a bit of a soft cloth.

The jewellery is glued on with PVA Wood Glue and the beading is tacked onto the wooden surround of the frame.

I did find that if the collaged items are on card then it may need a bit of assistance around the edges with some PVA.  At the top of the girl picture you can see that I have sunk in some eyelets and then
glued in a couple of flat sided bead drops.  Just to take the eye away from too many straight lines.

Most of all I love the aged look the beeswax gives as it softens everything - I will certainly be using this method again.  

Have a great weekend!

Bye and thank you for visiting!


9 comments:

chrissies said...

Hi Cathryn

How lovely of you to join us at The Hatters with your wonderful take on the Postcard from France theme. I always love what you make with the wonderful images and colour choices.

Best wishes Chrissie xx

Buttons said...

Love the look you've achieved with the beeswax. It gives such a lovely vintage sheen to your postcard. Hugs, Jenny x

Suze Bain said...

A gorgeous collage Cathryn, beautiful images and embellishments. Never had a pay with melted wax - bet it smells good too! Xx

Suze Bain said...

That should be 'play' not 'pay'. Lol x

Sandra's Spot said...

Hi Kathryn, wow a stunning postcard love the collage and the beeswax has given it a fab sheen. Lovely to have you join us at OOAH. Hugs Sandra X

Janet said...

Hi Cathryn
great to see you, love your postcard, the wax does give a great effect.
Thanks for sharing with OOAH
Janet x

Von said...

Lovely lovely piece Cathryn :)
Von ♥

Ann said...

WOW, what a gorgeous postcard!! I really must put more thought into my projects & not rush them :D
Ann xx

baileyrosy.com said...

Fab use of the beeswax I wish IO could use it but it gets so hot here that my lippy melts and the candles have to go into hiding until October. Beautiful done my dear and so much wonderful detail, love it.

Marie