Friday, 12 April 2013

I Love to Crackle!!


Great title!

Anyways I have been doing my entry for the T!m Holtz 12 tags of 13 and he uses so much stuff which I simply do not have or cannot afford - so I have had to put my own spin on it - I am sure that
T!m does'nt object to a bit of creativity!

I am going bananas for something I used to do years ago - crackle glaze - ooooo I really love it all over again.

Here is my entry:-


I have used the new MDF Pocket Watch Frames for Rob www.mdfman.co.uk - and the backing containing the stuff is greyboard.

First off everything was sealed using DecoArt Multi Purpose Sealer - then everything was painted
with Titanium Snow White now everything has a good base for me to "play".

I used DecoArt Dazzling Metallics in Crystal Green, Ice Blue and Bronze blending them carefully
but ensuring they didnt mix to form mud.   It doesnt take a few moments and you do get a great
effect with them.

For the back I added the Distress Stain in Forest Moss just blob it on -
Because the ink is lighter than the paint, and also the paint is still wet - then it acts as a "carrier" and you can just brush it into a star burst effect

Gives a nice finish and you can see the Patina effect with the Dazzling Metallics a little better on the above picture.

Then on the frame only I used DecoArt One Step Crackle which is my total fave at the moment - then
whilst it was still wet (and I always am very liberal with the glaze) I sprinkled on Mona Lisa Gold Powder (sigh!).   Now the powder will absorb some of the glaze and will give a wider crackle -
it looks so good as well.

When everything was dry I stamped the writing stamp from Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Apothecary cos to be fair its got the best script of any stamp.

Then I began adding the bits and bobs - I wanted an industrial feel to it so used stickers from the Tim Holtz Lost and Found Salvage Sticker collection, old jewellery (of course!), a dragonfly and parts from an old clock which I have stripped down and still using!  Look carefully and you will see an old fuse and an earring back!



I need to go and pay a visit to some of you guys as I have been quiet of late - so expect a visit!

thanks for looking and have a great weekend!


8 comments:

Suze Bain said...

I'm loving the golden crackle Cathryn and your grouping of bits and bobs is fab. Xx

Beejay said...

Love the whole watch face! Nice interpretation!

Neet said...

Fabulous as always! Love the crackle - I too am a fan but thinking about it haven't done much lately. Tell you what though Cathryn, I love those starbursts - must have a go myself.
Fabulous work - love everything about it.
Hugs, Neet xx

Winnie said...

Such an awesome pocket watch! I love the patina and sheen you were able to get on it. Such fun goodies inside too!

Rosie said...

Wow, this is fantastic. Wonderful artwork

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love, love, love all the detailing in your take of Tim Holtz April 2013 tag. Blessings!

Kayla Turner said...

I love all the embellishments your used! it looks beautiful!

Buttons said...

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - wish I could do speedy comments! Now, your clock is just perfect, including the starburst effect, the silvery crackle and the way you've grouped/layered your ephemera inside. It has a wonderful vintage feel without getting grungy. Hope you are keeping well and enjoying the sunshine. Hugs, Jenny x