Monday, 19 November 2012

Out of the Hat Challenge - use your stash


Hello - this windy rainy day and how the heck are you all?

So the hatters challenge is to make something out of your stash well at the moment I am having a bit of a sort out cos I want to begin the New Year all nice and tidy.  I am a bit of a hoarder and keep stuff, then forget what I have and go out and buy some more - so thats got to stop.

I want to try and make some stuff out of my stash for the Charity Shop to sell.   So rummage rummage and I found lots of these Kanban Fan decoupage sheets which I had originally bought to use in Craft Club but never did.

Rummage rummage rummage - 5 Ikea mirrors, those with the lovely wide frame.

Rummage rummage rummage - a tin of chipboard letters which I bought ages ago, cos I have used them only certain letters remain - I did toy with the idea of being a real dickhead and misspelling everything!  Like Dreem, Luv, Lafter!

Here is what I came up with...............





There is another one which says Hope.

I took out (smashed) the mirrors and then painted the frame Buttermilk.  Once that was dry I distressed them by sanding the edges.

The fans were assembled using tabbies and the chipboard letters were painted and then inked various colours.

For light reading I do enjoy Jane Austin, Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Proust etc.  you know casual easy to follow stories.....anyway I did have a copy (well thumbed I might add) of Pride and Prejudice
so I tore out some pages and mounted them on greyboard.

These were tacked onto the frame to hid the hole where the mirror had been, then I edged each one with peel offs, glued the chipboard letters on and stuck on the fans.

Tomorrow I will spray varnish them and add a small diamante at the base of the fan.  I reckon they will look very nice in the Charity Shop.

Cheerio and thank you for reading!


8 comments:

Buttons said...

What an imaginative use for those fans Cathryn, and I would never have known that you were winging it with the letters - they look perfect. Hope you liked the way I tackled my birdhouse. Think I need far more MDF supplies now!! Hugs, Buttons x

Suze Bain said...

Oh, there's nothing like a good rummage! These are lovely Cathryn. xx

florenceandfreddie said...

I am still giggling after reading your post and the spelling mishap! I really, really love all of these Cathryn but the one with the fan really stands out for me. What a wonderful idea. You do have the most incredible imagination. Thank you so much for sharing with the Hatters again this week.
Hugs, Florence x

Sandra's Spot said...

These are Gorgeous and yes they will look fab in the charity shop. Great post I love good titter. Thanks for joining us at OOAH. Hugs Sandra XXX

Wandering Star said...

This girl is so good at rummaging. At her art class for the village ladies ( I was going to say idiots and Cathryn would have agreed )We are creating Christmas decorations out of her rummages. keep going girl.
CeeBee xxx

Wandering Star said...

This girl is so good at rummaging. At her art class for the village ladies ( I was going to say idiots and Cathryn would have agreed )We are creating Christmas decorations out of her rummages. keep going girl.
CeeBee xxx

Janet said...

Hi Cathryn,Fabulous use for these mirrors,I'm sure they will sell very quick in your charity shop.
Thanks for joining us at OUT of a HAT
Janet x

baileyrosy.com said...

I prefer to root rather than rummage myself ! Your rummaging has turned up some great gear and totally transformed into outstanding arty facts ! Loving them all but can't wait to see what you do with your diamanté darling

Xx

Marie