Monday, 12 November 2012

Locks and Keys - Out of the Hat Challenge


Hello!

Big shout out for Buttons whose blog was singled out by Tim Holtz!!!  I mean thats super great - so nip over and take a look at her gorgeous work.

So here is my entry for Out of the Hat Challenge - Locks and Keys  it is a really really good challenge because the scope is endless.

The pictures are a bit rubbish, but this week I am quite strapped for time cos I have stuff to do - plus I cannot seem to take a good picture but my camera is a really good one.  

Its called "Set me Free" which I thought somewhat apt considering the challenge.   The base is a really thick Ikea frame which I inked up to add some interest.


 Then I went over with Brown Ink and a mask with keys,locks and words on it - so the background was beginning to build up.
 The collaged area (note the glue hasnt dried yet) - contains the grey flowers from the NEC which I have inked over, Tim Holtz craft resist paper which I used distress stains and cut leaves from and also a lock and 2 keys, the birdcage and moths are cut using Paper Artsy dies and then stamped with the matching stamps and embossed.  There are various other bits and bobs to add texture and interest, the metal keys I bought years ago and they have been fab - I think I bought them from America.

The centre is an MDF heart with tissue paper stuck onto it and then inked up, then I melted some UTEE in the melpot and covered it.  The image was downloaded from the internet its Fornasetti - and then glued onto a porcelain stamping surface and loads of coats of decoupage stuff has been painted on the top of it to give a high gloss finish, that gave it a blue sheen (I think from the printing ink).

The background is from Kraft Resist scrapbooking pad and in its centre was this huge butterfly and you can see that I have cut the wings so they are sticking up slightly.

Cheerio and thank you for looking!


6 comments:

chrissies said...

This is amazing Cathryn. You have done so many different things to make it special. Always wonderful to see what you make and great to have you join us at Out of a Hat for this challenge.

Best wishes Chrissie xxxxx

Buttons said...

Thank you SO much Cathryn. It has been a very humbling experience to get singled out like this - nothing much to live up to?!!!!!!
Talking of blowing trumpets your projects on the MDFman stand at the NEC were superb and persuaded me to have a go at altering a few bits and bobs. Seeing your clock for real was an absolute highlight. Let's see if I can get close to your level of genius...
This locks and keys piece is gorgeousness itself. Love the collection of elements to one area of the picturee and the beautiful 'peacock' butterfly wings under that lovely lady's eyes. Another masterpiece hun.
Huge hugs, Buttons x

florenceandfreddie said...

Hi Cathryn. What a wonderful project. So creative. It fits the theme perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing with the Hatters again this week. Love Buttons' Blog as well.
Regards Florence xx

Sandra's Spot said...

Hi Cathryn, gorgeous frame so much to look at and beautifully done. You are very creative. So nice to have you join us at OOAH. Hugs Sandra X

Suze Bain said...

Wow, this is a stunning collage Cathryn, absolutely beautiful. xx

Janet said...

Hi Cathryn,I love your frame,so much to look at,great way to use locks & keys.
Thanks for sharing with us at Out of a Hat
Janet x